Table of Contents
- Storing Cooked Tofu In The Fridge: An Ultimate Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions About Storing Tofu
- The Bottom Line
You may wonder how long does cooked tofu last in the fridge, as you want to store it without rotting. Tofus are curdled soya milk and can be spoiled within hours if left open. So, it’s convenient to store the tofu in the refrigerator, which extends its lifespan for a couple of days.
Here, we will find out the answer to the question, “How long does cooked tofu last in the fridge?”. After reading this article, you’ll also learn all about storing cooked tofu and get answers to the related frequently asked questions.
So, let’s get started.
Storing Cooked Tofu In The Fridge: An Ultimate Guide
Cooked tofu always last longer than raw tofu once opened from the packaging. Whether the tofu is cooked, uncooked, or fresh, you can’t leave it at room temperature for more than two hours. Rather, it’s always a good idea to cook and keep your tofu in the fridge for a longer lifespan.
How To Store Cooked Tofu In The Fridge?
How to store cooked tofu without spoiling its test and texture? The best answer to this question is, fridging. You can follow the simple three-step process to store your tofu for a long time.
- At first, it’s good to separate the extra ingredients like vegetables or sauce that you used in the tofu dish. This will keep your tofu crisp and fresh.
- Secondly, drain the extra water from the tofu.
- Finally, keep the tofu in an airtight container to avoid being dried or soaking other foods’ flavors.
Some tofu packaging includes instructions on them, you can also follow these instructions to know how to store cooked tofu.
How Long Does Cooked Tofu Last In The Fridge?
Cooked tofu lasts for 4-6 days in the fridge if stored properly. However, how long does cooked tofu last in the fridge depends on a few factors. Which are
- The Tofu Dish: There are several ways a tofu dish can be cooked. The lifespan of tofu here varies according to what ingredients you use in the dish. For instance, if you use eggs in the dish, it may last for only three days. On the other hand, the tofu won’t last longer than two days if you mix rice in the dish,
- The Container You Use: The tofu in the refrigerator has to be free from absorbing other foods’ flavors. So, it’s important to put the tofu in an airtight container.
- Type of Tofu: How long does cooked tofu last in the fridge? The answer to this question depends on the type of tofu you want to store. Silke, soft, firm, and different types of tofus have different lifespans.
Does Tofu Go Bad If Not Refrigerated?
Does tofu go bad if not refrigerated? Response to this question varies upon whether the tofu is opened or unopened from the packaging.
- Opened from The Packaging: The commercial packaged shelved tofus don’t go bad if not opened and refrigerated. On the other hand, refrigerated tofu packaging requires refrigeration to keep it fresh.
- Unopened from The Packaging: When the tofu is unopened or bought fresh, the bacterial contamination starts in two hours. Whether the opened tofu is raw or cooked, it goes bad if not refrigerated.
Hopefully, you found the answer to your question, “Does tofu go bad if not refrigerated?”.
Can You Freeze Tofu After Cooking?
Yes, you can freeze tofu after cooking. You can store the cooked tofu in the freezer for around two months.
Frequently Asked Questions About Storing Tofu
In this section, you’ll learn the most important questions and their answers which are asked very frequently.
How To Know If Tofu Has Gone Bad?
How to know if tofu has gone bad? This is an important question, as rotten tofu may cause food poisoning and other complications. However, you’ll consider the tofu as spoiled whenever you notice the following signs.
Looking for these signs will help you to get an answer to the question, “How to know if tofu has gone bad?”.
- The tofu gets discolored and turns yellow or brown.
- Visible development of mold on the tofu.
- Sour smell and taste from the tofu.
How Long Is Tofu Good After Opening?
How long is tofu good after opening? The proper response to this question depends on whether it is stored properly. If the unopened tofu is kept at room temperature, it will not last more than two-three hours.
On the other hand, if stored in a fridge properly, unopened tofu can last for 5-7 days. So, the period of “how long is tofu good after opening” varies upon your storage measures of the unopened tofu.
Does Unopened Tofu Go Bad?
Does unopened tofu go bad? The answer is yes, it can go bad. The unopened tofu goes bad if you leave it at room temperature. However, storing the tofu in a refrigerator will last for 5-7 days and 2-3 months if frozen. So, the response to the question, “Does unopened tofu go bad?” can be both positive and negative, depending on how you store it.
Is Tofu Good After The Expiration Date?
The answer to the question, “Is tofu good after the expiration date?” varies in different scenarios. If the tofu is stored properly in the refrigerator, it’s safe to have it within 4-5 days of expiration. On the other hand, the tofu remains good even after 2-3 months of expiration if kept in the freezer.
However, if you notice any sour smell, visible mold, or discoloration, it’s not safe to have the tofu even after storing it in the refrigerator. Hopefully, you found the answer to your question, “Is tofu good after the expiration date?”
Can You Eat Leftover Cooked Tofu?
You can eat leftover cooked tofu within 5-7 days if stored properly in the refrigerator.
Is Tofu Still Good After 2 Weeks?
The tofu is still good after two weeks as long as it’s frozen. The tofu remains fresh in the freezer for more than two months.
What To Do With The Cooked Tofu That Is Left Over?
You can store the leftover tofu in the fridge or freezer if intending to save it for later. Otherwise, you can try numerous tofu delicious recipes with the leftover tofu including tofu salad, tofu grill, tofu soup with spicy stew, and more.
The Bottom Line
Tofus are high-protein meal options reach in vitamins and minerals. But storing these can be a tricky job. However, keeping tofu in the fridge is the best option for storing them without affecting its quality. But, how long can refrigerators save the tofu, is the question. Hopefully, this article helped you to get the answer to your question, “How long does cooked tofu last in the fridge?”.