Table of Contents
When people think of a vegan regimen, they envision people eating green salads or raw foods. Or if they have to cook, they have to spend hours and hours cooking partly delicious meals. Nothing is far from the truth.
Despite the general knowledge, vegan dishes are varied and do not require much time. But sometimes, as people in regular regimes, vegans get bored of always eating the same meals.
The vegan regime consists of a plant-based diet. It excludes all animal products, dairy, and any other products from an animal source.
Some people consider veganism a way of living, not a simple diet. As a philosophy of life, it omits all forms of exploitation of and cruelty to animals. It includes food, clothing, and any other processes related to animal abuse.
It may seem very restrictive and complicated to follow since traditional diets involve animal products in every way. It can be hard to find suitable vegan alternatives to traditional meals.
However, times are changing, and a vegan diet has developed until finding various options to prepare delicious meals.
Most vegan dishes include:
- Beans, peas, and lentils.
- Soy products.
- Whole grains.
The combination of them and avoiding animal products is the key to following a vegan regime.
If you look closely and know the aliments, there are already thousands of vegan dishes in regular diets.
Several rice recipes are vegan. You can find, for example, an authentic spanish rice recipe, and a variety of cilantro lime rice recipes, vegetable fried rice recipes, rice and beans recipes, etc.
Cooking easy and fast vegan dishes
Daily routine leaves you with no time for thinking of new recipes to include in your vegan dishes repertoire. Thus, you cook preparations you already know and use the usual ingredients.
Fortunately, it is possible to make new recipes with ingredients in your pantry, like rice.
This grain is a versatile ingredient with plenty of nutritional benefits. Its blanks flavor makes it possible to combine it with any food. Besides, most rice recipes are fast and easy to cook.
Try some of them and include them in your vegan recipe book.
Curry coconut Thai rice
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 cup of basmati rice.
- 1 ½ cups of water.
- ½ cup of coconut milk.
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder.
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander.
- 2 cut red bell peppers.
- 1 grated carrot.
- ⅓ cup of chopped scallions.
- ⅓ teaspoon of chili flakes.
- Salt to taste.
- Place the water and basmati rice in a pot. Cook until boiling.
- Reduce heat and add coconut milk, curry powder, ground coriander, red bell peppers, carrots, scallions, chili flakes, and salt. Stir all ingredients very well.
- Cook for 15 minutes covered with a lid.
- Let it stand.
- Serve hot.
Vegan mushroom risotto
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 diced onion.
- 2 cups of sliced button mushrooms.
- 1 ½ cups of arborio rice.
- 6 cups of vegetable stock.
- ⅓ cup of white wine.
- ⅓ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste.
- In a big pot, pour olive oil and heat at medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for two minutes.
- Incorporate mushrooms and cook for 6 more minutes. Stir constantly.
- Add arborio rice, sauté and add white wine. Cook until rice absorbs the wine.
- Reduce heat and pour 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Stir and cook until stock is absorbed.
- Pour the remaining vegetable stock and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped herbs.
One-pot vegan Cajun rice
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 1 diced onion.
- 2 diced stalks of celery.
- 1 diced green bell pepper.
- 2 minced cloves garlic.
- 2 teaspoons of paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1 cup of long-grain white rice.
- 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 can of red kidney beans.
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish.
- In a big pot, add the oil at heat at medium temperature.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Incorporate paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for two minutes.
- Add rice, vegetable broth, drained beans, salt, and pepper. Stir very well.
- Cook the mixture until it boils.
- Reduce heat and place a lid on the pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.